Sunday, June 12, 2011

Go Stormers!

I didn’t jump out of any planes or off of any bridges this weekend, but it was exciting nonetheless. I woke up Saturday morning and went straight to the Old Biscuit Mill, which we’ve decided is actually Disney World for young adults. It really is heaven on Earth. I treated myself to a Belgium waffle, a mini ostrich burger, a chicken ciabatta, and a chocolate tart. Sorry I’m not sorry!

Old Biscuit Mill

Nom nom nom

The atmosphere at the Biscuit Mill was a tad different this weekend than other weekends in the past. This change, however, was quite familiar for us SEC kids. It was gameday in South Africa, and we treated the rugby game like a classic Georgia game in the fall. “It’s Saturday in South Africa!” and “Go Stormers!” quickly became our common bond with the locals. 

It's Saturday in South Africa!

Gavin and his crew had a braai (BBQ/tailgate) set up for us at a high school near the stadium. We spent the afternoon there and had an awesome time hanging out with our new tour guide friends in an atmosphere so familiar to all of us. We even whipped out some UGA chants on our way to and from the stadium. Loud and proud, baby.
Martin loves the Bulls. #rivals
Dustin & Gavin #luckygirl
The game was full of crazy, scary, and fun moments. It was definitely an unforgettable night, and the late night McDonald’s order made me feel more at home than ever. Georgia was definitely on my mind Saturday night. Let the countdown to football season and giant Chic-fil-a platters begin!
Newlands Rugby Stadium
I returned to Sir Lowry’s this morning because Ms. Hetta invited her “American children” to church. It was such a special service—both humbling and inspiring. Ms. Hetta reminded me of my mom and Ms. Elizabeth Carswell (Mary London and Haughton's mom) today because she exuded so much love for the Lord despite the trials she has faced. That's real faith. A few of the young ladies with me spoke at the service, and these were the verses they shared:
“I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:10-13
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Church in Sir Lowry's Pass

Once we got back to Cape Town, I joined another group of girls for yoga on the beach. If only the relaxation exercises would have taken place AFTER Jack overflowed our washing machine and flooded our kitchen…

            I found my inner Carrie Bradshaw/Amanda Miro at dinner tonight when I was with the Bafana Bus 1 girls at Buena Vista, a Cuban restaurant known for margaritias, nachos, and salsa dancing. We followed the meal with an outing to Cubana’s but apparently didn’t meet the VIP standards. We were literally asked to move every time we sat down on a couch. A few of the rebels stayed out, but I came back with Wong and Callie to harass Dustin about scheduling private surf lessons with Gavin. We ended up raving with the staff in 301. And now, I’m blogging for my faithful readers at 2:30 in the morning, wondering how and when I’m ever going to catch up on sleep. I originally thought that I'd sleep when I get back to Georgia, but I miss y'all way too much for that. Can't wait to see everyone again!

Buena Vista

Not Wanted: Americans

"We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from it."
- William Osler

No comments:

Post a Comment