Sunday, June 19, 2011

Take care!

            Our last few days have been such a whirlwind of emotions and excitement. I can tell that people are ready to see their friends and families again, but everyone is dreading the final farewell. To start the last weekend off right, Allie Cooper and Ish coordinated an official Cape Town pub crawl. We had a chartered party bus that took us to pubs and clubs all over the city in one night. We started at 7:30 Friday night and ended at 4:30 Saturday morning. We were living young, and wild, and free.




Dubliner's

We love our cab drivers/body guards!



            Living young, and wild, and free is great, but the late night reminded me how crucial sleeping is to my well-being/sanity. Our last visit to the Old Biscuit Mill yesterday morning was wonderful (Gavin was there!), but I was absolutely drained as we hopped in-and-out of cabs and to-and-from vendors at the Green Market and the Waterfront. I took a quick nap when I got home before I had to get dressed for the banquet the hotel hosted for us last night. Unfortunately, “quick naps” don’t prevent clumsiness. 


Second only to Sanford Stadium, this is the best place to be on a Saturday.


Rebecca & her vintage wine
Green Market with Callie

The community group leaders gave out funny superlatives at the banquet, Courtney moved us all with her “Don’t play marbles with diamonds” speech, and the hotel owner ended the night on a perfectly magical note when he unexpectedly walked onto the stage, took his hat off, and bowed to Courtney. He said that she and the Global LEAD program have inspired him by the amazing work we’ve done here in Cape Town and by the life we’ve brought to the apartments.
My lack of sleep/clumsiness brought a lighter mood to the Atlantic Suite when there was a loud bang in the back of the room. Everyone immediately turned around and saw me all alone…at the dessert table…with two bowls in hand. Of course I accidentally knocked over a silver platter right when the sentimental speeches were beginning. No one believed me when I explained that I was getting cake for everyone at my table, but I promise it wasn’t all for me!
Ish & his favorite Global LEAD girls {6.18.11}

Cake or no cake, the celebration continued into the night. My friend, Tim Rood, delivered a speech at the banquet in which he quoted a letter from Jon Krakauer’s book Into the Wild:
“So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. They very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”- Alex McCandless
People like Tim and Courtney, who aren’t afraid to explore new things, to express vulnerable emotions, and to enjoy all of their blessings, give Global LEAD its incredible essence. I’m thankful for people like my roommates who remind me not to sweat the small stuff, for Shelby Ausband who identifies with me on so many levels and makes me feel better about everything, for Sadie Lambert who was brilliant enough to explain Gary Clarke’s sermon to the ten other people in our cab this morning who completely missed the point he was trying to make, and for the girls next door (Marjie, Wong, and Callie) who are always making me laugh. There are dozens of other genuine people on this trip as well. I’m sad to tell them goodbye, but I’m so incredibly grateful for the time we’ve spent together. I’m also grateful to be going home to spend time with another set of amazing people.
Sadie Lambert {Quay Four}

"Something magical happens when you give yourself.
You're replenished as well." - Courtney Doran


Shelby Ausband {Lagoon Beach Hotel}

     
            I can’t wait to hug my parents and thank them for this incredible opportunity. I can’t wait to eat Chic-fil-a and sleep in my own bed. I can’t wait to watch movies, sing in the car, and eat Bruster's ice cream with Louisa Jacobs. I can't wait to have neighbor nights with Austin White. I can’t wait to visit Athens to eat Yoforia with the 2155 girls, argue with Haughton and Nick Saye about God knows what, hang out by the pool with my long lost college friends, and reunite with all of my sororitay sistas (in honor of K-Fog). I can't wait to finally beat Josh Murray at Words-With-Friends. I can’t wait to greet Luke and Loree Anne at the Atlanta airport because I don’t get to see them nearly enough anymore. I can’t wait to start running again. I can't wait to tweet from my phone again. I can't wait to decorate my new house with Coach Owenby's assistance and move in with a trio of Southern belles. And, more than anything else, I can’t wait to be a bridesmaid in Amanda Miro’s wedding! I hope Brasstown Valley is ready for us.


            But first, I must say farewell to the place that has been my home for the past five weeks. I once perceived moving as a dreadful obstacle, but I now see it as a pure delight. I adore Vidalia, I cherish Gainesville, I love Athens, and I am captivated by Cape Town. I’m all about some hometown pride, and you better believe that South Africa will forever have a piece of my heart.
This is the place where I learned that “the body, mind, and soul must be free to fulfill themselves,” and that I must take care of myself in order to wholeheartedly care for others. This is the place where I learned “the power of WOW” and felt truly alive in certain settings, at specific moments. On adventure week, Dustin quoted Tom Peters to encourage us to seek more “WOW” moments after this trip:

1. Care more than others think is wise.
2. Risk more than others think is safe.
3. Dream more than others think is practical.
4. Respect more than others think is possible.



   
I had a “WOW” moment tonight after I watched a sailboat drift across the sunset from my living room. Those of us who didn’t fly home tonight went to Café Caprice for one last hoorah with Ish and Lance, and then we took up a random invitation to go to “the crepe guy’s apartment.” Matt Fornito had a fifteen minute conversation with a baker on Saturday at the Old Biscuit Mill, they exchanged numbers, and the man invited us to his home tonight. We were fairly sketched out at first, but we decided to be daring on our last night in Cape Town. TIA!
Caprice with Wong

It pays to take risks— "The crepe guy" just so happens to own a penthouse suite in Blouberg. When we walked in, our jaws literally dropped. I have honestly never seen such a nice setting nor been treated so well by a complete stranger. He offered food, made drinks, and told amazing stories. He is from Holland but has lived in New Orleans, London, Sydney, Vancouver, Los Angeles, and maybe even more cities before residing in Cape Town. He worked in aeronautical engineering before realizing his passion for the food industry. This man is absolutely brilliant, and I honestly can’t think of a better way to spend our last night. I loved our spontaneous adventure to his gorgeous apartment, but attempting to play the piano made me miss my musical mama! It’s time to come home.
STUNNING
So sophisticated. #jokes

Flight 2 girls

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for giving me the opportunity to have "WOW" nights like this. Thank you, Global LEAD team, for affording them to me. And thank you, friends and family, for sharing this experience with me via Blogger.




        Take care, Cape Town. I’ll be back!


“There are worlds within worlds yet to discover.”
– Richard Slimbach, “The Journey Home

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed every moment spent reading your blog. Athens is not nearly as interesting, but I promise you have some people here who are so ready to greet you with love! We miss you and cannot wait to see our Darby :)

    ReplyDelete