Friday, June 17, 2011

So What...Now What?


PEOPLE ARE RAISING THEIR EXPECTATIONS
GO ON AND FEED THEM
THIS IS YOUR MOMENT
NO HESITATIONS
- Shakira, "Waka Waka"
Our last week has been full of FOMO (fear of missing out), which has resulted in going out every night and reviewing the pictures every morning before class begins.  The laughs have been endless and the lessons priceless.
Monday (6/13):
Joanna lectured about the needs in our community, reminding us to “mind the gap” when we go home. We divided into home states and reviewed disturbing statistics about health, poverty, and education. She encouraged us to continue serving once we’re back in our home states and ended with the powerful statement: “Life’s not fair. Do what’s right.”
We spent the afternoon bargaining/shopping at the Green Market, ate dinner at a popular sushi restaurant in Greenpoint, and went to Mitchell’s on the Waterfront to launch “the beginning of the end” of our summer abroad.  
Beluga




“The highest reward for a person's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." - John Ruskin


Tuesday (6/14):
JoJo’s second lecture of the week focused on vision statements. We have been asked to write vivid, challenging, and compelling vision statements and 1200-1400 word paper about how our experiences in South Africa have shaped these visions. After listening to Mandela’s inauguration speech in which he stated that the body, mind, and soul should be “free to fulfill themselves” and MLK’s “I Have a Dream” speech in which he urges people to be judged based on the “content of character” rather than skin color, I was actually excited about writing the paper. Here’s my vision statement (for now):
I will find a career that ignites my passions. I will be kind enough to form meaningful relationships and authentic enough to lead a life of utmost integrity. I will be a shining light in the midst of this often chaotic and sometimes dark world. To accomplish these aims, I must be open to love, eager to learn, and willing to change.

Wang Thai's view of Lagoon Beach
My roomies and I went to Wang Thai for lunch and began to discuss distinct differences between South Africa and America. We made each other choose three things that we wish we could have brought with us and three things that we wish we could take back with us. Here’s my list:
Things to bring to South Africa:
1) Leggings
2) Sweaters
3) Chic-fil-a

Things to bring to America:
1. Ish
2. Old Biscuit Mill
3. Gavin
I was thrilled when Hamilton Bolton called me later in the afternoon to invite me to go surfing. Ish took us to Big Bay and we attempted to surf in ridiculously cold water. I had fun, but it made me crave Lake Lanier and sunshine. I hope y’all are enjoying the summer weather right now!


Big Bay

A for effort?
Chris Kasuya (UGA)

            During our cab ride, I told my friend that I wanted to add “Learn to cook” to the bucket list I made on adventure week. Chris, being the sweet boy he is, took me grocery shopping after our surf session and we cooked spaghetti together that night. Joanna brought vegetables, I brought dessert, and he showed us his special way of cooking noodles and mixing sauces. I’m going to miss the fellowship here so much.
"Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone."
- Andy Stanley
Wednesday (6/15):
We had the morning off from class, so Ish brought us 120 muffins from Charly’s bakery. All I can say is…YUM. I then worked on my vision statement paper while preparing to go to Sir Lowry’s for the last time. We had a celebration in the township that was full of musical talent, crazy dancing, lots of laughs, plenty of smiles, and a few tears. It was hard to tell Ms. Hetta and Wailan goodbye, but I was thankful to have a positive feeling about their future when I left. Let’s pray that God keeps them safe, loved, and encouraged.

The mural is finished!

UGA & Sir Lowry's students

            Wednesday night was one of the most memorable nights of the trip. Remember Jacqui who took me to Primi Piatti after church one day? She’s back! She and her husband, Dean, took a handful of us to The Italian Club (Cape Town’s best kept secret) for an unforgettable night of dinner and dancing. I ate chicken schnitzel for the first time—Mimi, you would be so proud of me for trying new things over here!—and danced my little heart out to the craziest duo I’ve ever seen. When Jacqui told the singers about her “Georgia girls,” the man found an Elvis costume and the woman sang “New York, New York” to make us feel welcome. Oh, what a night!

GEORGIA GIRLS

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES...

WITH ELVIS!

As much fun as I had on the dance floor, I was even more taken aback by the generosity and hospitality of this amazing couple. They have literally treated us as though we were their own children, and they have opened our eyes to the real Cape Town—a great city with people and families whose struggles and triumphs are no different than my own. I have already included the Berry family in my vision statement essay because they characterize so much of I what I want to be: kind, compassionate, generous, and gracious. They created cherished friendships by reaching out to complete strangers. You’d be amazed by the extent to which a simple smile can take you—hand shakes, conversations, hugs, meals, memories. This is how relationships are formed and lives are changed.  
Jacqui & Dean Berry

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
- Unknown
Thursday (6/16):
Yesterday was Youth Day in South Africa, which is a national holiday in commemoration of 1976 Soweto riots. Several places were closed in town, so we used the day to focus on schoolwork and talked about applying what we’ve learned in Cape Town to everyday life back in the States.
I went for a run on the beach after class and was blown away by my playlist because Shakira and Rod Stewart so accurately captured all of the emotions I’ve been feeling and thoughts I’ve been thinking over the past five weeks.
May the good Lord be with you down every road you roam
And may sunshine and happiness surround you when you’re far from home
And may you grow to be proud, dignified and true
And do unto others as you’d have done to you
Be courageous and be brave
And in my heart you’ll always stay
FOREVER YOUNG
The Italian Club {6.15.11}

            The Global LEAD girls decided to celebrate Youth Day by having a tea party at the famous Mount Nelson Hotel. It was a lovely and memorable afternoon as we tasted tea, devoured pastries, and discussed our dream weddings. I’m happy to say that I can check at least one thing off of author Patricia Schultz’s 1000 Places to See Before You Die list.

High Tea with Anna Lynn (UGA), Laura (Wake), & Madeline (Bama)

Mount Nelson Hotel

"The golden opportunity you are seeking is in yourself. It is not in your environment, it is not in luck or chance, or the help of others; it is in yourself alone." – Orison Swett Marden


Friday (6/17):
We've traveled so far and learned so much. Global LEAD now poses the question: So what...Now What? How, when, and why do we apply everything we've learned about leadership, service, and life in general to our daily routines? How do we share our stories with others and impact the world in a positive way?

            Class this morning was too special, too intense, too “you had to be there” to explain to anyone who hasn’t experienced the Global LEAD program firsthand. Once we covered questions about the final project and papers, we watched highlight videos of the trip and shared stories, thanking each other for the amazing journey we’ve conquered together.


            I spent the afternoon COMPLETING MY GLOBAL LEAD CHAIN (finally!) with Ish's help. After tracking down my bungee jumping pictures at a post office twenty minutes away from the apartments, we visited a golf pro shop because Madeline wanted to buy a hat. We didn't find the hats we were looking for, but we did manage to "play golf in South Africa" so that I can honestly say that I did everything I wanted to do in Cape Town...and more.

"To be or not to be, that is the question.
Finish what you start, that is the answer."
- P. Diddy

My Global LEAD chain from the first day of class:
            * Bungee jump
            * Learn how to surf
            * Go to a rugby game
            * Drink wine
            * Swim with sharks
            * Play golf
            * Leave a positive impression on community group #1
            * Run to the lighthouse
            * Make someone smile during service week
            * Ride an elephant


Photography by Preston Shurley

“I went skydiving, I went Table Mountain climbing, I went 6.0 seconds free falling from Bloukrans Bridge. I loved the locals, I spoke to strangers, and I kissed an ostrich as it was attacking. And Global LEAD said: Someday I hope you get the chance to LIVE LIKE YOU’RE IN CAPE TOWN.”
– Tim McGraw/Darby Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment