Wednesday, May 25, 2011

How 'Bout Them Dawgs?

            It’s not every day that one eats an ostrich burger with a living legend. Thanks to this trip, though, I can mark it off my bucket list. The fourteen Cape Town community group leaders had dinner with Vince and Barbara Dooley last night, and I’m sure they would’ve come out on the town with us afterward if only they didn’t need to rest for their Cape of Good Hope visit today. Those two know how to have a good time.

Rick's Cafe {5.24.11}
            On Monday, we reviewed leadership styles in class and then broke into groups to discuss A Walk in the Night by Alex La Guma. The SEC student body never ceases to amaze me. As we discussed the conflicts and circumstances surrounding apartheid, our awesome TA (Chase Hagood), informed us of the desegregation research he had done. The schools represented on our trip (mostly SEC) were officially desegregated in the following years:
Georgia Tech: 1961
Tennessee: 1961
UGA: 1961
Wake Forest: 1961
Ole Miss: 1962
Alabama: 1963
Auburn: 1964
LSU: 1964
Mississippi State: 1965
Universities in South Africa were officially desegregated in 2003-2005. If that’s not jaw dropping, I don’t know what is. After learning this, a handful of us decided to tour the District Six Museum as well as the Slave Lodge. District Six is an area of town in which Africans (freed slaves, merchants, artisans, laborers, and immigrants) were forcibly removed in 1901. The government intended to make District Six a White Group Area under the Group Areas Act of 1950, but the prosperous white people began moving to the suburbs soon after the 60,000 blacks were displaced and their homes bulldozed. In 1994, the neglected area was re-opened to those who had been forced to leave. The museum was opened on December 10, 1994 to maintain the memories of those who had once lived in the vibrant mixed community of District Six: “It is a celebration of local triumph, which resonates with all those who have experienced marginalization.”


District Six Museum {5.23.11}
We then skillfully navigated ourselves to the Slave Lodge, which is the oldest slave building in South Africa. It was shocking and heartbreaking. There was so much to see, but I spent a good amount of time reading the heroic stories of Anton Jonas, Emilie Lehr, and Lydia Williams. All three were freed slaves who went above and beyond to help their families and communities in some way. Anton’s grandson became a renown teacher, Emilie’s grandson became a missionary, and Lydia had a strong impact on the local church fellowship. I was drawn to these people—who were granted citizenship awards in December 2005—because they reminded me of my own family and friends. They were people who valued education, hard work, and sacrifice. Props to them for surviving slavery and rising above it.  
            Monday night became trivia night in the Lagoon View (our classroom). Dr. Wolf hosted the event, and it was quite a success. I didn’t know that the Barbie doll was created in 1959, but I did know that South African apartheid began in 1948. See, Mom and Dad? I really am learning things over here! Trivia night soon became Chucky P’s (Charles Purcell) birthday party, which obviously meant we had to go downtown. We piled into taxis and headed to Dubliner’s, a local pub with live music/crazy DJs who dream of being on the cover of Rolling Stones. We sang and danced the night away, and I loved every minute of it.


Courtney + boys = trivia champs


The birthday boy {5.23.11}


The Dubliner at Kennedy's
            I loved every minute until 8:45 on Tuesday morning when my roommates and I realized we had all slept through our alarms. We frantically dressed and, by the grace of God himself, made it to class by 9:00 to hear the Dooleys’ speeches.
            Coach Dooley reminisced about his coaching days (Rex Robinson's save in the Kentucky game may beat Rudy and possibly The Blind Side for my favorite football story) and taught us how to prepare ourselves for the opportunities that await us.  He emphasized the power of discipline and prayer, using the word “pride” to guide his way.
Preparation
Risk
Integrity
Drive & determination
Everybody
            Coach Dooley talked about learning the hard truth that you must “teach yourself to be lucky,” and incessantly reminded us how important integrity is. In his words, “If you don’t have integrity, you don’t have any worthwhile program at all.” I wish I could adequately explain his countless examples, but believe me when I say that this man has integrity. He and his wife are true gems.


            Mrs. Barbara, who is fabulously energetic and spunky, also values integrity. When she spoke, she emphasized the power of attitude, for “the only thing you can control in life is your attitude.” She told us about surviving breast cancer and the chemo treatments which she turned into weekly champagne parties with her friends. “You’ve got to keep things lively,” she said. And that she did.


            Mrs. Barbara lights up a room the moment she walks in, and her sense of humor is wonderfully contagious. She and Coach Dooley’s genuine interest in the students and this program has really blown me away, and I will always treasure this time with them. Coach, if you’re reading this: Thanks for the flower lessons and cuisine challenges. I’ll always think of you whenever I see a protea or eat ostrich!
South African protea in Camps Bay {5.24.11}
            My favorite thing Mrs. Barbara said was this: “Fame is so fleeting, but morals last.” This is especially poignant when it comes from such a successful couple. As much as I admire Coach Dooley for his contributions to UGA athletics and Mrs. Barbara for her astounding strength as a wife and mother, I am so much more impressed by the character of these two individuals. They bring “vibrancy and life” to others in the same manner that Coach Dooley believes a football team brings vibrancy and life to a college campus.
            When someone asks me about my study abroad experience months or years from now, I won’t talk about the famous football coach who came to speak to us. I’ll tell them about the amazing couple I met who not only spoke about the significance of morals but exemplified it. I’ll tell them about my ostrich burger, Mrs. Barbara’s heartfelt advice, and watching the sunset with them as we celebrated Hines Ward winning Dancing with the Stars. GO DAWGS!



"To dream anything that you want to dream, that's the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

No comments:

Post a Comment