Tuesday, May 10, 2011

So long, sophomore year. Hello, summer!

        EXAM WEEK HAS OFFICIALLY ENDED! I survived Spanish linguistics, hallelujah. I also survived living in a six-girl room at the ADPi house and being separated from my capitol-bound sister who is now working in Washington D.C. for Congressman Culberson of Texas. But "surviving" isn't the proper word to describe this year. The challenges--personal, physical, academic, and more--made sophomore year the most encouraging and uplifting ten months of my entire life.

        I know this blog is supposed to be about Cape Town, but I think it's important to know where someone's been when you're trying to understand where she's going. I'm devoting this post to my reflection of the past school year. Like it or not, it's all I've got for today! SINS (which means "sorry I'm not sorry" for all of my non-collegiate readers).

        Last August, I moved into the prettiest house on Milledge Avenue with the greatest group of sixty girls to ever cross a college campus. I lived with five other ADPis in the yellow room, where we  woke up to Blackberry alarm clocks and the smell of Ms. Dennise's bacon, dealt with an unreliable bathroom door, deciphered and responded to questionable text messages from nameless gentlemen, discovered the significance of self-induced spray tanning, named a mouse Tiny Tim (he visited around Christmas) and spent weeks researching ways to take down him and his friends (Team Yellow-1, Tiny Tim-0), borrowed clothes and jewelry on a daily basis, distracted each other from schoolwork as though it were our job, offered advice to anyone who asked for it, and comforted anyone who needed it. I never thought my neat-freak self would say this, but I'm going to miss seeing those five unmade beds next to my tidy corner of the room everyday. In fact, I already do.

"Just living isn't enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."

TEAM YELLOW: Darby, Kristen, Alexandra, Paige, Kristen, Chelsey
       
        You know who else I'm going to miss? The 2155 girls. This other set of five young ladies, four of whom are yellow room veterans themselves, has been my greatest support system this year. Because they are a year older, they have infinite wisdom to share with me. Jokes. They do have wisdom to share, but that's not why I love them. I love these girls because they are genuine, compassionate, and full of life.

        Mary Beth is a hoot. She has the most contagious laugh in the world, and I think God sent her into my life to remind me of childhood bliss. She's a real-life Polly Pocket, petite and precious from the inside out! Morgan (not pictured) is awesome. Not only is she a track superstar at UGA, she is the kind of friend every girl needs. She'll celebrate with you when life is good and hurt with you when life gets hard. Sara Anne and I spent a lot of time together while we trained for the Georgia half-marathon. I am so thankful for that time with her because we guided and supported each other not only through physical challenges (like that dang 909 hill and the horrible idea to run out to Watkinsville and back) but also through everyday issues and personal struggles. Her attitude is absolutely amazing, and I envy the grace with which she carries herself. Nadine invited me to Charleston for spring break, and we bonded over our unhealthy and unexplainable addictions: mine to sweets (particularly cookie dough) and hers to shopping. We're currently in the process of finding less fattening and less expensive hobbies. Her need for eBay therapy doesn't bother me, though. She's sophisticated, trendy, faithful, and refreshingly honest. And then there's Maggie, my ADPi-designated "big sister." She's a doll. I don't know what I love most about her: her "great" vocabulary, her sweet southern accent, her precious wardrobe, or her dazzling personality. Wait a second. I do know what I love most about her-- her overflowing heart of gold. Nursing is the perfect profession for Maggie because she'll be able to do what she does best, which is to compassionately pour out care and concern to lift the spirits and improve the lives of everyone she meets.

"A hug is worth a thousand words. A friend is worth more."
    
        Last but not least, I'm going to miss my guy friends. They're not all pictured, but you know who you are. As much as I enjoyed living in a house with sixty lovely ladies, it was really nice to have laid back, understanding, and goofy boys to hang out with when I needed an escape. Sophomore year was full of tennis matches, dog sitting, Words-with-Friends wars, movie nights, pool days, last-minute class projects, homemade chicken, guitar performances, Little Italy pizza, and the occasional date night with one of my roommates. I've always wanted a big brother, and now I feel like I have about ten! They may not have shoes for me to borrow or makeup tricks to teach me, but all of these guys bring something to the table. I also need to give a shout out to the one and only John Bateman for always looking out for his Hoop Girls. You're the best.


Josh Murray: guidance
Austin: laughter
   



                                           










Christian & Ty: excitement
Josh Parrish: comfort



 








                                                

Dustin: sensibility

Haughton: loyalty












       
        When my family moved from Vidalia to Gainesville, our parents wanted us to make new friends and cherish our old ones. I'll never forget that lesson. As difficult as it is to say goodbye to my friends in Athens, I am so eager to say hello (which is actually "hallo" in Afrikaans) to all of the people I'm going to meet in Cape Town. It's not going to be easy, though, for the upcoming summer to top the past school year. Will Global L.E.A.D. rise to the challenge? We shall see!

SOPHOMORE YEAR FAVORITES
Memory: 19th birthday surprise party at LA's apartment or Shokitini karaoke night with my pledge class

Concert: John Mayer (competing with Lady Antebellum, The Band Perry, Luke Bryan, and Tim McGraw)

Meal: Dantanna's at the CNN center before the Hawks v. Knicks game

Adventure: Vidalia Onion Festival with Alexandra, Allison, and Kristen or GA/FL football game with Shannon Dooley

Accomplishment: Raising $9,203.00 for American Cancer Society with my family's half-marathon team, Papa's Pride, and running 13.1 miles

ADPi date night: Semi-formal with William Moses? Top Gun impersonations with Jacob Knight? Tacky Christmas with Brett DeLoach? Hawks game with Sam Weaver? Swing dancing with Matthew John Thomas? Watching the NFL draft with Austin Long? There's clearly no way to choose a favorite here. Thanks for fun nights and cute pictures, boys!

Basketball game: LSU, senior night

Weekend getaway: Harrisburg, PA to visit LA and the Cox family  

Road trip: Birmingham, AL to visit Alexandra's family and to hang out with Mary London at Samford

Musical: Urinetown at Wofford College in which my best friend, Louisa Jacobs, was the leading lady

Team: The Goon Squad (YEE YEE!)

Random encounter: Tony Hawk on Broad Street

New word: HASHTAG #obviously #ilovetwitter #sins
       
       
        To my fellow college kids: I encourage you to reflect on the ways YOU spent this past school year. We really are living a dream life. Embrace it. Enjoy it. And appreciate it. To my older readers: I hope this post reminded you of your college years and/or led you to reminisce about your youth. I applaud you for "surviving" it. And to my youngest followers: You have a wonderful years ahead of you. Get excited. 

"SPREAD LOVE EVERYWHERE YOU GO... Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.”
- Mother Teresa


Photos taken by Alexandra Koehn in South Africa last summer

AK's apartment view: FOUR MORE DAYS until it's my turn!



4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read all about your trip Darby!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait to read this to all of my campers. this makes me so excited to hear about your trip and even more excited to see you again! you are amazing and south africa is that much more special and blessed because you are there! i can't imagine what God has in store for the combination of you, shel, and sadie... it's almost unreal that three girls that are so amazingly great are coming together for five weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read this one (skipped it for some reason) and it made my whole day! It also made me miss you so much more. Come back to 2155!!! We love you dearly and consider you a roomie :)

    ReplyDelete