Friday, May 27, 2011

"Step out into the sunshine, walk with firm feet."

 Hello again! This week has been full of adventures. As the Dooleys prepared to depart for Kenya on Thursday morning, the Global L.E.A.D. team began to spend more time with the groups we were divided into before the trip began: Bafana Bafanas (South African soccer team) and Springboks (South African rugby team).  Here’s what the ballin’ Bafanas have been up to this week:
Wednesday:  Vineyard tour
If you ever want to experience exquisite wine tasting, you need to go to Franschhoek Valley.  This is where I’d want to live if/when I move to South Africa one day. You’re all invited to visit! It’s a small, quaint town that reminded us of Italy. As we approached the vineyard, someone spotted a double rainbow in front of the greatest waterfall I’ve ever seen. And our welcoming only got better from there.  
A 6’6, 300 pound MMA fighter greeted us in the driveway. Rob, whose Twitter name is @rambowine, owns and operates Haut Espoir in Franschooek Valley. He’s a stud. After walking us through the vineyards and showing us various herbs that can be used to cure anything from common colds to hangovers (You better believe our guys ripped that plant to shreds and stuffed their pockets with its leaves),  Rob took us to the actual winery where he had designed a competition for us.



We split into six teams and each was given five different base wines. My team decided to make a pink rosé and named it Sassy Diva. We came in sixth place, and the all-boys team won a case of Gentle Giant red wine. Fortunately, I didn’t mind losing a case of wine because I would have given it away anyway, but let’s keep in mind that the guys had just won trivia on Monday night. The competition is getting fierce over here in Africa.

              Mrs. Barbara toned down my attitude that evening when I returned. She and I had a special conversation about life, love, and football players. What a dollI absolutely adore her!
Thursday: Boulders Beach, Cape of Good Hope, & Cape Point
               It’s true, there ARE penguins in Africa! Not only did we get to see a beach full of the waddling black-and-white nuggets, we were lucky enough to witness a baby penguin hatching from an egg.  It was such an awesome experience. An SAE from Auburn went so far to say that Boulders is “even better than frat beach because everyone’s wearing tuxes.” True life. That really happened. Thank you, Jack Konas.


Jack Konas (AU)
Boulders Beach

            Since our plans to smuggle a penguin failed, we loaded the bus and headed to the Cape of Good Hope. It is the most southwestern tip of South Africa and is absolutely breathtaking. We found baboons, ostrich, and eland on the side of the road and, of course, our Davy Crockett frat stars on the back of the bus—who are outnumbered 4:1 by the girls—had a heyday. You would’ve thought they won the National Championship when they saw that first eland.
Cape of Good Hope

               Last but certainly not least, we ventured to Cape Point, where the Atlantic Ocean is said to meet the Indian Ocean. The entirely uphill hike to the lighthouse was bearable thanks to Jack’s rendition of “Get Low” by Lil Jon. The Europeans who passed us didn’t exactly appreciate his musical talent, but we had a good time nonetheless. The view from the lighthouse was so incredible, and I had a ball until the guys left me stranded on the side of the mountain while they raced to the rocky side of the cape. Rude.
Cape Point with Joanna Harbin

            I ended the night with a few Global L.E.A.D. students and Muslims in Cape Town. Ish’s cousin is the leader of a local mosque, and he was kind enough to let us have a Q&A session with him before we observed a prayer service. The Islamic faith is fascinating, and I am so glad that I decided to go because we had such an eye-opening and enriching evening.
Friday: Robben Island
               My inquisitive, nerdy, wanna-be politician side came out today.  Everyone knew I was excited about the seeing the place where Nelson Mandela spent eighteen of his twenty-seven years in prison when I showed up to the bus with three books in my hands. It’s alright, I’ve embraced my potentially embarrassing, studious ways.  I had a great conversation with Kelly Sugrue (Westminster STAR!) on the ferry ride to the island as we worked on homework assignments. Once we arrived, Kelly went with the Springboks and I went with the Bafana Bafanas to meet Thulani Mabaso.
Thulani Mabaso

              Thulani was sent to Robben Island as a political prisoner because of his affiliation with the African National Congress and his contribution to the National Intelligence Services explosion. He was only 19-years-old, the same age I am right now. His story literally gave me chills. He talked about the Security Police who broke his ribs, made him partially deaf in his left ear, and shot his father eight times when he tried to visit his son in prison. His father has been in a wheelchair ever since, and the men who shot him are now among the most successful businessmen in South Africa.
Thulani also told Courtney and me about Nelson Mandela’s ingenious plan to escape that he withdrew because he was suspicious of one of his prison “comrades”—and he was right. The comrade was actually a spy and was assassinated soon after the failed attempt by the white oppressors who had essentially hired him to trick Mandela.
Hearing Thulani explain life as a political prisoner and the influence Mandela had on the island was unforgettable. Based on Thulani's stories, I think Mr. Mandela and I could be good friends. Thulani said that “he was a man of his word and loved to talk to people,” even in the bathroom where the prison wards demanded silence. My sweet friends from the yellow room can probably empathize with Mandela’s comrades. Thinking out loud can be good for the soul!
As we all know, Mandela was an inspirational leader who was willing and eager to help anyone—white, black, or colored—in need. He believed in facilitating someone’s cause but not substituting someone’s problem. When meek and timid comrades would ask him to represent them in a debate, he would say: “No, stand up for your own.” How awesome is that? My Republican daddy taught me all about individual responsibility, and my admiration for Nelson Mandela skyrocketed when I heard that story.
               Once we arrived back at the Waterfront on the very boat that Mabaso and Mandela rode when they were finally freed from Robben Island, we asked Ish to take us straight to the apartments in order to finish and turn in our workbooks before the 8 P.M. deadline. We ended the night the watching the sunset from Café Caprice in Camps Bay. You need to visit my friend Meg Gheesling’s website for better pictures of our amazing South African journey. She’s a 20-year-old professional photographer, no big deal.

"In my lifetime I shall step out into the sunshine, walk with firm feet."
- Nelson Mandela
Camps Bay
      
         I hope everyone enjoys the upcoming weekend! I’m going to get back to my books and rest up for the Biscuit Mill tomorrow morning and the Goldfish concert tomorrow night!

Peace, love, and politics.
“One of the most difficult things is not to change society—but to change yourself.” – Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment