Sunday, May 29, 2011

How sweet it is.


The Old Biscuit Mill was everything I hoped for and more. There was a large tent overflowing with fresh bread, baked treats, sandwich stands, wine tastings, and more. It was basically a cultural paradise—I actually overheard a girl from Czechoslovakia tell her friends she was in paradise after she found a pair of shoes in the shopping area outside of the tent. After I bought the world’s largest blueberry muffin, I headed toward the chocolate factory which happened to be behind the “shopping paradise.” This is where I found my new Switch wallet, an adorable giraffe-print top, and a special South African present for Louisa. It is also where I was suddenly hit with homesickness: More than anything, I wanted Loree Anne and my mom to experience this perfect Saturday with me.  I also felt like Amanda Miro, my world-traveling role model, as I tried new foods, tasted (and poured out) new wines, and talked to new people. I even told one vendor, Rebecca, about Amanda and her fiancĂ©, Chad, because I needed to be sure I found the perfect gift for their wedding in July. I’m sorry to say that I used the rest of my cash to buy a steak sandwich, but the ATM is my new best friend and I’ll be back to get Rebecca’s suggestion for them!




              After I finished my delicious steak sandwich, I hopped into one of Ish’s infamous vans that was going to the Waterfront. I finally bought a K-WAY jacket to protect me from this entirely unexpected Eskimo weather and managed to steer clear of the sketchy bathroom alleyways (I felt like I was filming Taken and immediately decided to wait until we got home). The rest of the afternoon was spent reading and resting for the Goldfish concert. Good Lord, did I have a culture shock waiting on me Saturday night.
But first, my sweet roommate prepared a lovely pasta dinner for us. The four of us had an incredible conversation that literally lasted for hours—until the boys came stampeding down the stairs looking for hair gel. They decided they wanted to dress like loyal and local Goldfish fans, so I sacrificed a bottle of mousse to make them look as ridiculous as possible. Mission accomplished.

AnnaBeth the chef

TIA
Let me tell you about this concert we observed/participated in: We’re dropped off at The Assembly on Long Street where a huge bouncer checked everyone’s I.D. but ours. I then walked through black panels, showed my ticket, and received an invisible, glow-in-the-dark stamp that nearly covered my entire forearm. As I climbed the stairs into the smoky and foggy unknown, I specifically remember telling Sadie Lambert that “this is not my scene.” Someone immediately shouted “TIA!” which is one of our many mottos here in Cape Town, meaning “THIS IS AFRICA.” AKA: Live it up while you can.

Goldfish concert
I tried. Following in the footsteps of another role model of mine, Lydia Jacobs, I “rocked out” and jumped up-and-down near the front of the stage. None of us knew the lyrics and people were mad that 101 Americans were drowning (Goldfish, get it?) their scene, but that didn’t stop us. I have never felt more preppy or out-of-place in my life, but that’s what this trip is all about: living, learning, and growing along the way. 

No idea who that guy is, but welcome to Cape Town!
While we were there, I met a guy from LSU who went to high school with a guy in our group and happened to be visiting Cape Town this weekend. It came up in conversation that he was a state champion wrestler from Lovett, and I asked if he knew my cousin, Bryan Benton. “The 4-time state champion from Toombs County?” he asked. “That guy’s a legend. I watched him wrestle all through high school.” I was, of course, so excited to have made a connection and beaming with pride for my awesome cousin back home. What are the chances that I would meet someone in Africa who knows and admires my cousin from Lyons, Georgia? It’s such a small world! And I love it.

GHSA State Wrestling Tournament {02.17.07}
 
Lovett boys {05.28.11}
The world felt even smaller and more personal today when Jacqui Berry, a Cape Town local from Durban, picked up Emily Gregory, Emily DeJarnett, Anna Marchman, and me for church at Hillsong and then took us to lunch in Blouberg with her 12-year-old daughter, Taylor. Emily and her roommates met Jacqui and her husband, Dean, at a restaurant during our first week, spent four hours talking to them that night, and have stayed in touch ever since. Jacqui is so kind, and she taught me more about present-day South African culture during our time together today than any class lecture or homework assignment could ever do.
Primi Piatti = Mellow Mushroom with a beautiful view
When we made our “Things to do in Cape Town” links on the first day, I wanted to include seeing the everyday life of a typical South African, but I didn’t because the Global L.E.A.D. program already incorporates once-in-a-lifetime adventures, gorgeous tourist destinations, and priceless trips to the townships. How could I possibly expect more from this one trip? The Berry family is honestly an answered prayer. They have opened up their hearts and their homes to us, and I can't wait to spend more time with them over the next three weeks.
So, to recap the weekend: The Biscuit Mill was awesome. I finally bought a jacket. Roomie dinner was so much fun. The guys looked exceptionally guido last night. The concert was crazy. Church was amazing. Jacqui Berry is “lovely.” Service week starts tomorrow. It’s a sweet life we're living: no complaints, no regrets. #TIA

"Be young, be foolish, be happy." - The Tams

No comments:

Post a Comment