Monday, May 16, 2011

I see you, South Africa!

        Cape Town is definitely worth the jet lag.   Although I have only slept for roughly seven total hours in the past three days, I couldn’t be in a better place. The background music at Starbucks was the perfect final farewell during our layover in Amsterdam; “Georgia on My Mind” was comforting and reassuring, reminding me that no matter how far I travel, I will always have “home” on my mind and in my heart. 

        When we finally arrived at the Cape Town airport, we hauled our ridiculously heavy suitcases (props to Shelby Ausband for the champion heavyweight of 72 lbs.) to a charter bus and headed to our awesome apartments at Sunstays Resort.
       
        We spent this morning catching up with the other half of the group (who flew in the day before us) and reviewing the course syllabus/trip schedule. There is SO MUCH in store for us! The Global L.E.A.D. staff never ceases to amaze me. They had food and drinks waiting in our apartments when we finally arrived from the long plane flights and bus ride. They had each student’s South African cell phone (they look like 1999 Nokias, but we call them the iPhone 5.0) stored with all the contact information of students, staff, and approved taxi drivers. They even had weekly agendas taped to our kitchen walls. I’m all about organization, so I’m sure you can imagine how much I’m beginning to love these people.
        After our meeting, we broke into community groups to discuss ten things we want to do before we leave. I’m the leader for community group #1, and I am so excited to watch everyone tackle his/her list.  We then took a tour of this incredible city with the coolest tour guide known to mankind, Ish. Really though, his name is Ish. I’m obsessed.
10 things I want to do before I leave Cape Town:
·        Bungee jump
·        Learn how to surf
·        Go to a rugby match
·        Drink wine
·        Swim with sharks
·        Play golf with the boys
·        Leave a lasting and positive impression on community group #1
·        Run to the lighthouse
·        Make someone smile during service week
·        Ride an elephant  
        During our lunch break at the Waterfront, one of my roommates, Megan Lentz, said that she has diagnosed herself with “FOMO” since becoming a professional college kid. She has a “fear of missing out,” which I believe approximately 99% of everyone on this trip has as well. She doesn’t want to miss any inside jokes, exciting stories, or irreplaceable memories. With opportunities like the ones in front of us, can you blame her? The memories we are beginning to make are endless—and a tad overwhelming.
        Overwhelmed. If you want the truth, that’s about how I feel right now. Excited? Of course. Apprehensive? Somewhat. Exhausted? More than ever. That’s why I chose not to go out tonight when we got home from dinner. I had to put my “FOMO” to the side and remind myself that I’m supposed to run four miles at 7 A.M. tomorrow (one of the teaching assistants started a running group) and then listen to a guest speaker for three hours. Don’t worry, though.  I’ve already promised Megan to go out tomorrow night to celebrate her 20th birthday, and I promise to update you all on my downtown Cape Town experience! I hope the locals like my dance moves.

"People say that what we are seeking is a meaning for life.  I don't think this is what we're really seeking. I think what we're seeking is an experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell


Solo shot action (just for you, Mom) in front of The Twelve Apostles
       


THE ROOMIES: AnnaBeth (Auburn), Madeline (Alabama), and Megan (Auburn)


Ish gallavanting down the road #typical

Dinner at Moyo

2 comments:

  1. oh they'll LOVE your dance moves, darbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darb, I'm so jealous of you as I sit at my desk right now. HAVE A BLAST

    ReplyDelete